Welcome to Thailand Starter Kit Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

To read our articles about living in Thailand, please visit our main site at ThailandStarterKit.com.


Which lawyer specialises in child custody and repatriation of children

0 votes

my child has been removed from thailand to new zealand and i would like to find out my rights as a father

asked Mar 9 in Family
by Lance Pattinson (120 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

2 Answers

0 votes

Hi Lance,

I did a quick Google search.

Siam Law has a lot of resources. Although I've never used them or know anyone who has. So I can't vouch for them.

Maybe reach out and see what they say?

All the best in sorting this out.

answered Mar 13
by John (1,620 points)
0 votes

My assumption is that you'd have to work with a lawyer in New Zealand in order to have the child returned to Thailand. I'm not sure a Thai court verdict could be recognized in New Zealand (though to answer that question for sure, it makes sense to talk to a lawyer in NZ).

You could try contacting the Thai Embassy in New Zealand to see if they have a list of recommended lawyers in the country (similar as how embassies in Thailand have lists of recommended lawyers here). The idea would be to find a New Zealand based lawyer who has some experience working with Thailand based clients, potentially even being familiar with the legal situation in Thailand.

Another option would be to contact the New Zealand embassy in Bangkok and ask for their input to see if there are any Thai-NZ law firms that can be of help (or if there are maybe NZ lawyers practicing in Thailand). For the sake of assistance you probably want to talk to the consular section that helps out NZ citizens that are arrested and/or detained: https://www.mfat.govt.nz/en/countries-and-regions/south-east-asia/thailand/new-zealand-embassy/embassy-services-for-new-zealanders/

answered Mar 13
by karsten.aichholz (1,660 points)