Welcome to Thailand Starter Kit Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

To read our articles about living in Thailand, please visit our main site at ThailandStarterKit.com.


What happens when a work permit is cancelled?

+1 vote

Can my current employer cancel my work permit and/or visa once I leave my job?

If so, does Thai law require that I be notified of this cancellation? As I understand it, it is difficult for charities in Thailand to get work permits for foreign staff and the number of work permits is dependent on a charity's size.

Assuming my current employer can and will cancel my work permit and visa, do you have any recommendations for how I might obtain a work permit/visa so I might work for a small not-yet-registered charity?

asked Jan 24 in Legal
by Ask Me Anything (1,620 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

Yes, the employer is able to cancel your Work Permit and Visa, it will automatically affect to the Visa (Non-B) causing you to leave Thailand within 24 hours.

This is the action of the Employer. Please be noted that this is not the compulsory regulation that the Employer must do it. Therefore, normally, the employer will not notify this cancellation to the Immigration / Labor Department and will let both WP and Visa expires as stated in the documents. However, it also depends on each employer and how discussion goes by between the Employer and the employee. It’s the right of the Employer to cancel the WP and Visa but it is not compulsory action that the employer MUST do it.

I would say that you are able to negotiate with the employer about this matter as it is not a compulsory that the employer shall cancel the WP and Visa. Giving time for you to find a new job during the validity of WP and Visa.

However, if the employer cancel it then as mentioned in Clause 1, it is automatically affect that you shall leave Thailand and get another 90 days Non-B Visa for the new employer to come into Thailand again.

answered Jan 24
by Ask Me Anything (1,620 points)