Welcome to Thailand Starter Kit Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

To read our articles about living in Thailand, please visit our main site at ThailandStarterKit.com.


Which visa should I get to stay in Thailand long-term?

+1 vote

​I am married to a Thai female and we currently live in the US. If we were to live in Thailand for a while, is it better to get a retirement visa, or a marriage visa?

asked Jan 24 in Legal
by Ask Me Anything (1,620 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote

If you are over 50 years old then it is also possible to obtain the Non-Retirement Visa.
When you are legally married to a Thai woman then it is possible to get the Non-O(Spouse) Visa.

However, there is a financial requirement which is deposit of THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account in Thailand before apply for a Visa at least 2 months with a certificate letter from the Bank OR combination of bank account OR having monthly income for at least THB 40,000 with a certificate letter from the US embassy to verify the income. Same with the Non-Retirement, there is a financial requirement.

The applicant shall submit one of the following financial requirements;

Deposit money in Thai Bank account for THB 800,000 2 months before
submitting the application.

Obtaining the monthly income/pension for at least THB 65,000. In this case, the certificate letter from the foreign embassy/consulate is required.

Thai bank accounts combining in Thailand with a yearly income total of THB 800,000.

answered Jan 24
by Ask Me Anything (1,620 points)