Welcome to Thailand Starter Kit Q&A, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

To read our articles about living in Thailand, please visit our main site at ThailandStarterKit.com.


Changing retirement visa extension in Thailand

+1 vote

Can someone who enters Thailand on a 30 day Visa change to a Retirement extension without having to leave the country providing they have the required amount in the Bank seasoned.

asked Dec 16, 2017 in Visas
by website-user (7,010 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

+1 vote
Best answer

Yes. It's possible. Even though in practical it will be more difficult than obtaining Visa Non-O from your home country.

You shall go to do this process of changing Visa at Immigration Division 1 (Chaengwattana)

In order to get Non-O Visa, the applicant musy be 50 years of age / over. Having
Passport with 18 months left before expiring

Also obtaining proof of Funds THB 800,000 Baht or USD 25,000 or
Proof of income THB 60,000 a month or USD 2,000

The point is, to get Non-O Visa in Thailand, you may need to open the Bank account in Thailand. And most of Thai Bank requires documents such as Work Permit/Visa Non-O.

Without this, (New regulation and also have to check with each Bank) the Bank may not open the Bank account for you. OR they will send this issue to the Head Office in order to get the approval. OR The bank will ask for any other documents. (Ex. Application for Visa Non-O)

(But if you already have the Thai Bank account then it will be more easier)

This is therefore more difficult go get Non-O Visa from you home country and open the Bank account in Thailand to extend the Visa.

answered Dec 16, 2017
by website-answer (38,870 points)
selected Dec 16, 2017 by website-user